- Discuss your trip and destination in advance. Relate time in the car or air to kid friendly terms. For example, explain travel time in terms like this: the flight will take as long as “insert familiar movie title” or it will take the same as if you watched Sesame Street twice until we stop again. Also, tell them how many “sleeps” you will be gone. I remember a trip a few years ago, my son thought we were never coming back. It’s sometimes funny how kids perceive different situations. Including your kids in some details makes them feel important, less worried and will ease everyone’s minds.
- Keep them occupied with fun games, activities and coloring books. A good movie on your tablet or car dvd player is another awesome way to make the time fly by!
- Keep your usual routine. When traveling this can be difficult but kids live on a schedule and look forward to knowing what to expect. Naptimes, bedtimes and meal times are especially important.
- Be prepared for those hunger pangs with lots of healthy snacks. I like to bring the non-messy ones as well. Some examples include raisins, veggie chips, cereal, granola bars, dried fruit and string cheese. Plenty of water will keep them hydrated and dries pretty quickly if spilled. Additionally, keeping a box of disposable wipes will keep little fingers mess-free and ready for the road.
- While space is limited, especially if you are traveling by air, a familiar comfort item from home will help when the child needs a little rest time or is in a new place. My son’s favorite is the Dragon in the Castle from Happy Nappers. If you haven’t seen one of these before, they are the adorable 21 inch huggable friend that reverses into a pillow. I love products that have multiple uses. My son loves that he has a familiar friend.
More about the Dragon in the Castle Happy Napper:
- He is lightweight at only 1.1 pounds
- The manufacturer’s recommended age is 12 months-11 years.
- He has a fun doorbell to press!
- His fun castle has a door that unzips easily when your child is ready to greet his friend for the day.
Happy Nappers are fun and collectible! They have many more personalities to choose from. From Jay at Play, these adorable friends are sure to be a hit for your kids too! Check them out on their website! DEO Readers can receive free shipping with the code SPECIAL4U !!
Disclosure: I receive the above mentioned product to facilitate my review. No compensation was received. All opinions are 100% mine.